Dell Studio XPS 7100 Review (my old desktop)
- Model: Studio XPS 7100 Carbide Silver
- ISBN: SX7100-2510CSC
- Motherboard Chipset: AMD RS785/SB710 Chipset
- Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 Processor 1035T
- Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM (4 DIMMs)
- Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5450 with 1GB Video Memory
- Storage: Seagate 1.0TB 7200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
- Multimedia Drive: 16x DVD+RW with Double Layer Write Capability
- Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
- Wireless: Dell 1525N Wireless-N PCI-E Mini-Card
- Wired Internet: 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- Ports: 8 USB 2.0, eSATA, HDMI, DVI, Headphone and Mic, 19-in-1 Media Reader
- Sound: High Definition Audio Chipset
- Sound Output Mode: 7.1 Channel HD Audio
- Power Supply: Delta Electronics 460W
- Weight: 22.4 pounds
- Keyboard / Mouse: Dell Kiki Keyboard, Dell Optical USB Mouse
- Dimensions: 7.31" x 17.9" x 16.02" (WxDxH)
ATI Radeon HD 5450 Specs @ cnet.com
- Three Interfaces:
- VGA: 2048 x 1536
- DVI-I (dual link): 2560 x 1600
- HDMI: 1920 x 1200 (board purchased in 2010)
- Lenovo Ideapad U330
- Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz
- 2.93 GB of RAM; physical address extension
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3
- One Key Recovery
- Personal Laptop
- HP 250 G4 15.6" Laptop Intel Core i3-5005U 2.0 GHz; 4GB; 1 TB 5,400 Hard Drive
- One-year extension protection plan -- $39.99
- 8GB RAM
Acer 24" 1080p Full HD Widescreen LED Display - CB241H (no longer carried)
- Screen: 11.75" high x 21" wide (overall height listed as 15"; screen is 4" off table)
- Screen Coating: Anti-Glare 3H
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- VGA, DVI, and HDMI connectors
- Speakers: 2-watt x 2
- Stand Adjustment: height, pivot, tilt, and swivel
- LED Backlight
- Refresh Rate: 60Hz
- Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 100,000,000:1
- Response Time: 1 ms
- DTCC Laptop
- USAA Laptop
- HDMI Specs
- HDMI 1.2: up to 1080p
- HDMI 1.3: up to 1600p
- HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2: up to 4K
- Sizes of LED monitors (16:9; 1920 x 1080)
- 19 inch: 16" wide x 9.5" tall
- 23(?) inch: 20.5" wide x 11.5" tall
- 24 inch: 21" wide x 12" tall
- 27 inch: 24" wide x 13.5" tall
- Sizes of Widescreen LED monitors (21:9; 2560 x 1080)
- 29 inch: 27.6" wide x 12.9" tall
Dell 1704FPV Monitor
Dell Product Support
- 17-inch TFT LCD (13.3" w x 10.6" h)
- Antiglare with hard-coating 3H
- Response Time: 12 ms typical
- Optimal preset resolution: 1280 x 1024 at 60/75 Hz
- Connector type: 15-pin D-subminiature, blue connector; DVI-D, white connector
- Is a plug-and-play monitor
- Two monitors gives me a "screen" that is ~27" wide x 10.5" tall (2560 X 1024)
Monitors at Microcenter
- Windows Live Mail
Windows Live Essentials @ microsoft.com
- Use custom install to select only Live Mail
- Adding RSS Feeds
- On the "Home" tab, select the "Feeds" item with the RSS icon located beneath the
"Contact" item in the bottom left corner of your Windows Live Mail screen.
- Click on the RSS Feed icon in the upper left corner of your Live Mail screen.
- When the "Add RSS Feed" dialog appears, type in the URL for the RSS feed you
wish to follow.
- Once you close the "Add RSS Feed" dialog, Live Mail will automatically download
every announcement in that feed.
- If you don't want to keep feeds prior to a particular date
- Click on the first one you wish to delete
- Press Ctrl+End to select every message PRIOR to it
- Then press the Delete key.
- Now, all you will have left are those messages AFTER the date you desire.
OE Classic - Replacement for Outlook Express
Mozilla Thunderbird (free)
- RSS Feed Readers
- External Hard Drive (Microcenter)
- WD My Book 2TB SuperSpeed USB 3.0 External Hard Drive ($99.99)
- Person uses
- Acronis True Image 2013 is included
- Works with Windows Backup (which has a 2TB limit)
- HP Photosmart 6520
- General Information
- Calculator (old Win7 version)
- Cool Reader v3.0.54-27
- Cool Reader is a very simple reader for epubs without DRM.
- I installed the program on an XP machine, and copied all the files to a Windows 10 machine.
- The Cool Reader v3.0.54-27.rar
file contains the folder.
- Open the RAR file, and place the folder anywhere you wish.
- Ebook Tidy
- Ebook Tidy is a tiny little editor that performs VERY useful edits.
- Once again, I have placed all the necessary files in the
Ebook Tidy.rar file.
- Open the RAR file, extract the folder, and place it anywhere you wish.
- You will need to use Help Explorer Viewer (discussed below) to view the Help files.
- Classic Games
- Windows 7 Games
- XP Games
- I have collected some of the old XP games (and their related Help files).
- The Help files for the games themselves run correctly on Windows 10.
- You can download the RAR file at
- Open the RAR file, extract the folders, and place them anywhere you like.
- Paint Shop Pro
- Paint Shop Pro was a very useful program for generating and editing graphics.
- Two popular versions were version 4.12 and version 7.00.
- I obtained the software, and installed it on my XP machine.
- Then I copied the program folder to my Windows 10 machine.
- I placed the program folder anywhere I wished.
- The program runs correctly (with one little "comment"):
- Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT.
- Just click OK, and continue.
- Then select "Start Paint Shop Pro", and the program is running.
- You will need to use Help Explorer Viewer (discussed below) to view the Help file (Psp.hlp).
- Paint Shop Pro 7.00 also includes animation software; therefore you will see the little "comment" twice.
- Here are the two RAR files:
- StorageSync 1.42
- StorageSync is a very old, simple backup utility. It makes full backups (copies files)
or incremental backups when YOU want it to occur.
- StorageSync doesn't worry about the cloud, or continuously copying files.
StorageSync Software Review @ tomshardware.com
- I installed the software on an XP machine, and then copied the program folder to a
Windows 10 machine. It worked perfectly (even the Help files).
- I suggest you turn off (disable) a few settings:
- Disable "Start StorageSync at Startup"
- Turn off "Automatically run Program Updater"
- Disable "Auto-Launch"
- The StorageSync.rar file contains all the program files. Extract the folder, and place it anywhere you like.
- WinHlp32.exe for Windows 10
- When you run an older application that uses the Windows Help program, you will be transferred to
this Microsoft webpage. It states that the Windows Help program is not supported in Windows 10.
You will find WinHlp32 for Vista through Windows 8.1. The article mentions five Help files that
are related to "How to Use Help". They were removed in Vista. These files are the following:
Can't Read Older *.hlp Files on Windows 10 @ tenforums.com
- The trick is to use the correct "flavor" (x64 or x86) of winhlp32.exe from an XP machine
- Write a script to copy the old executable into the correct directory
- I have an old 32-bit XP machine, and I collected the files related to winhlp32.exe
WinHlp32, Do we have to go through this again @ answers.microsoft.com
Winhlp32 for Windows 10 @ answers.microsoft.com
How to Open .HLP WinHelp Files in Windows 10 @ trishtech.com
- Help Explorer Viewer
- One good replacment option is the Help Explorer Viewer application.
- You can find the program at Cnet: Help-Explorer-Viewer/3000-6675_4-10666661.html
- Softpedia.com has a review of the software.
- The software comes in a ZIP archive which contains (1) installation files, and (2) full set of program files.
- You can simply open the ZIP file, extract the "program files" folder, and copy the program to ANY
folder you like. You don't have to actually INSTALL the program.
- You can put a short-cut on the Desktop, rename it as desired, pin that short-cut to your
Start Menu (right side), and then delete the short-cut on the Desktop.
- Since this is a standalone program, you can open the old program in one window, and its related
Help files in a second window (using Help Explorer Viewer).
- Help Explorer Viewer offers a "Reopen" function which remembers the locations of ANY Help file
that it has opened. This makes the program very easy to use.
HelpExplorer_3.0_win32.zip (local copy)
- Insignia 10.1 Flex Tablet
Android Help Center @ support.google.com
- Android File Storage
Where in the File System are Applications Installed @ android.stackexchange.com
- Pre-installed system apps are in /system/app with priviledged apps in
/system/priv-app (which are mounted read-only)
- Normal apps in internal memory go to /data/app
- Some apps (encrypted on internal storage) go to /data/app-private
- Apps stored on external memory go to an encrypted container in
- The apps data are stored below /data/data/(package_name) (internal storage)
or on an external storage /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/(package_name)
- These statements are valid for KitKat, Lillipop, and MAYBE later versions
- Adoptable Storage
How to Turn External SD card into Internal Storage on Marshmallow @ tomsguide.com
- Start with a blank SD card
- Tap [Settings] > [Storage]
- Select [SD Card], then tap the "three-dot menu" (top right)
- Select [Settings]
- Select "Format as internal", and then "Erase & Format"
- Reboot your device
How to Use SD Card as Internal (Adoptable) Storage on Android @ fossbytes.com (good article)
- Android encrypts the external SD card being used as internal storage
- An app's developer must allow Android to install an app on the adopted storage
- You can move your photos, files, and some apps to the adopted storage ("now" or "later")
- To move photos, files, and app data to this device, go to [Settings] > [Storage]
How to Move Android Apps to an SD Card @ tomsguide.com
How to Set Up new SD Card in Android for Extra Storage @ howtogeek.com (good info)
- You can migrate photos, files, and some apps "now" or "later"
- If you choose to migrate "later", go to [Settings] > [Storage & USB]
- Tap the drive
- Tap the menu button
- Select "Migrate data"
Adopt SD Card in Android Marshmallow @ wikihow.tech
- Move apps when you want to
- Transfer Files from Tablet <==> PC
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
Nougat @ android.com
- File-based encryption
- Direct boot
How to Manage Files and Use the File System on Android @ howtogeek.com (great article)
- For Android 6.x or newer
- There is a built-in file manager
- Settings > Storage > Other
- It will show a full list of all files and folders on your internal storage
- For Android 7.x or newer
- The file manager is part of the "Downloads" app
- It will shows certain type of files -- images, videos, music, and downloads
- To see the full file system, go to Settings > Storage > Other
- Android divides its storage
- Device storage -- pool of storage you can access; many apps dump data files here
- Portable SD Card -- portable storage
- Device Root -- special filesystem for system files, installed apps;
most file manager apps can't modify this file system
- Storage for personal files
- DCIM -- photos
- Download -- files you downloaded
- Movies, Music, Picture, Ringtones, Video -- folder for personal media files
- You can browse these folders from any file manager
- A single tap on a file will bring up a list of installed apps that claim they
support that file type
- You can work with files directly, opening them in apps like you would on
Android N Feature Spotlight: Built-In File Manager
- File browser is hidden in Settings -> Storage -> Explore
- File actions are no longer limited to copying
- You can rename items and move them to different folders
Making Sense of you Android Storage Folders @ androidauthority.com
- Without root access, users only have access to the data partition
- That is the partition you'll be looking at when you connect your
Android device to your PC, or browse via a file manager
- Your microSD card, if applicable, will also appear mounted under this
user accessible data partition, which you can acces via PC or a file app
Cool Features Hidden in Android 7.0 @ pcmag.com
- Split Screen -- exit by dragging the barrier all the way to one side
- Switch back and forth between the two most recent apps by
double tapping the recent app button
- Display > Display size to embiggen all the text and icons
- Manage Storage Space
- Install a micro SD card
- Tap [Settings] > [Storage Settings], and select where you want your tablet to write files
- Tap [Apps] > [File Manager] > [SD card]
- Navigate to the file you want to open, then select an app to open it
How to Unlock the Password Screen on an Insignia Flex Tablet @ youtube.com
SD Card Problem with Insignia Elite Tablet
- Reformat the SD card in NTFS (on the PC)
- What you would need to do for Google Music while using Explorer on your PC:
- Create folder 'Android'
- Go to 'Android' and create folder 'data'
- Go to 'data' and create folder 'com.google.android.music'
- Go to 'com.google.android.music' and create two folders: 'cache' and 'files'
- Go to folder 'files' and create two folders 'artwork' and 'music'
- After all folders were created - plugin sd card back into your tablet and
Google Music should see external storage
Moving Data from Tablet to 32G SD Card (written in 2016)
- When they set up the image for this tablet they partitioned the internal memory
into two partitions.
- The first partition is considered to be "internal" memory, but is used up almost
completely by the system and "bundled" apps.
- The second partition is considered to be an external SD card.
- When you insert a new SD card, it recognizes it as a place that you can store
video and pictures or other files to and read them from.
- But Android apparently wasn't designed to have more than one external storage location.
MicroSD Card File Access
- I can download files and copy them to the MicroSD card, and I can copy files
from the card to internal memory (using the Explorer app).
- I can not open any files that are stored on the MicroSD card.
- If I copy a file from the card to the internal memory, I can open it OK.
- The MicroSD card might be accessible only by stock (pre-installed) apps.
Insignia Flex Elite Opinions @ forum.xda-developers.com
- SD card only accessible for stock apps; probably mounted root only
- I was finally able to use an app to xfer files after formatting the SD card to
ntfs instead of fat32
- The SD is only visible to system apps. Unless you format it NTFS, then it can be
found by other apps. Need to figure out how to make shortcuts/symbolic links so it
can be reached from areas other than /mnt as I think some apps expect it to show up
in the storage folder and other places.
Saving to SD Card on Flex 8
- microSD Cards
- Android apps
- Epub Reader Apps
Adobe Acrobat Reader @ play.google.com
AIReader @ play.google.com
- Can read books directly from the SD card (May 2017)
- Copy your font *.tff to /sdcard/fonts, and restart app
- Can not open files with ":" in the filename (file is stored in SD card with
- Can't access SD on Samsung Galaxy S5
- Cool Reader
Cool Reader @ play.google.com
- WILL NO LONGER ACCESS THE SD CARD (formatted as external storage)
- For issues after update, remove directory SD/.cr3/cache and book database files SD/.cr3/*.sqlite
- Windows version can be downloaded at
Cool Reader GL @ play.google.com
- Optimized for new devices with high screen resolution and tablets
- Some features of old Cool Readers are not yet implemented
- Can be installed together with old Cool Reader
- Doesn't recognize external memory card!!!!
How to Open Mobi Files on Android (using Cool Reader) @ joyofandroid.com
- Cool Reader has a built-in file manager
- Open the app, and select "Browse file system"
- Navigate to the desired folder, and tap on the desired book
- Moon+ Reader
Everything You Need to Disable in Windows 10
- Disable Wi-Fi Sense
- Diable Bandwidth Sharing for Updates
- Disable Automatically-Applied Updates
- Disable "Getting to Know You" Features
- Disable Targeted Ads
- Prevent App-Access to Your Location, Microphone, & Webcam
- Disable Unwanted Background Apps
How to Use Windows 10 @ laptopmag.com
Settings You Should Change Right Away @ laptopmag.com
Windows 10: The Missing Manual CD-ROM @ oreilly.com
- User Interface
- Edge Browser
Working with Favorites in Micrsoft Edge @ ghacks.net
- Edge supports Favorites (bookmarks)
- Edge displays Favorites, browsing history, settings, and downloads in a sidebar
- The sidebar (called a Hub) has an icon that looks like 3 horizontal lines of different lengths
- Edge does NOT store its Favorites in the Favorites folder (like IE does)
- To import Favorites from Internet Explorer
- Open Microsoft Edge
- Click the Hub icon
- Switch to the star icon when the Hub sidebar opens (pin it in place)
- Select Settings
- Check Internet Explorer under "Import Favorites", and hit the import button
- Bookmarks are imported into folders that Edge places in the root favorites folder
- You may add individual favorites by clicking the star icon (to the right of the address bar); select "Save in Favorites"
- Managing Favorites
- The options for managing Favorites is hidden from sight in the interface
- Open the Favorites sidebar
- Right-click a Favorite, and you get options to remove it, rename it, and create a new folder
- Display the Favorites Bar
- Click on the Hub icon to open the sidebar
- Select Favotries, and then Settings
- Toggle the "show the Favorites Bar"
Windows 10 Edge on Desktop Does Not Start @ answers.microsoft.com
- How I fixed Microsoft Edge on Windows 10:
- Problem: Microsoft Edge stopped working
- This procedure fixed the problem:
- Go to Control Panel / Program Features / Turn Features On and Off
- Turn OFF: “Internet Explorer 11”
- Restart the system
- Go to Control Panel / Program Features / Turn Features On and Off…
- Turn ON: “Internet Explorer 11”
- Restarted system
- PROBLEM WENT AWAY!
Manage Edge Favorites @ edgemanage.emmet-gray.com
- Internet Explorer
- XP Spider Solitaire
Spider Solitaire - XP Version Works in Windows 7 (and 10)
- XP Games in Windows 7
- On your XP machine
- Go to C:\Windows\System32
- Copy cards.dll, freecell.exe, mshearts.exe, sol.exe, spider.exe, and winmine.exe
- Go to C:\Windows\Help
- Copy spider.chm and spider.hlp
- On your Windows 7 PC
- Create a folder (NOT in Windows\system32)
- Paste all the files in the new folder
- XP Pinball game is found in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball
- You can copy the entire folder, move it to your Windows 7 PC, and place it in a
- Classic XP Menus in Windows 7
created by Bonnie Lee Hill,
last modified on July 25, 2020